Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Facebook: not any more transparent

I have just read this article and I am still in a state of shock!
This article tells us about a new web site that allows you to post comments on Facebook anonymously. It is easy to use, you just have to paste a URL before your comment and voila! your comment is anonymous!

At the beginning of the social media, or at least when I started to get on social media I had a blog where I could post all of my pictures and I could write down beside it what they were about and my friends could leave me comments. I was in middle school/high school and I remember that everybody could see my blog and left me comments. They just had to enter the name they wanted me to see. So my friends put their name or nickname but also some people wrote false names and left me negative comments. Usually at this time you have your friends but also enemies! And I could totally know who the senders were.
I think some bad stories were told to the creators of this website because one or two years later, you could not write any comments without your real name and only if you were a member of the website.

I think letting people be able to write comments with transparency is a bad thing because that can be used much more in a negative way than in a positive way.
Why would you hide positive and nice things you want to say to somebody, unless you are a hidden lover on Valentine’s Day!
However, there are numerous bad reasons that you would hide your name to write a mean comment… This website already gives us examples like insulting somebody. That can be very hurtful and can be dangerous. I mean if somebody is trying to make you lose your job or your friends or your boyfriend/girlfriend, writing comments anonymously would be a very useful weapon to use.

I am completely against that and I think Facebook should find a way to erase this new tool before a lot of people get hurt. If you want to be nice to someone, tell him/her and if you have a problem with somebody that is the same you should tell him/her.

What do you think about this website? Would you like receiving comments from someone that you do not know? 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Because of your post, I checked out the link and was surprised at what I found. I think this is a terrible idea and its a tool only to stir up controversy and negativity. I've heard of similar sites such as juicygossip.com which was basically a site to bash people at different universities. It eventually got shut down but I remember tons of drama got started because of that site. Hopefully this new site doesn't start a negative trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel this can cause negative outcomes. I know how mean kids can be in high school and middle school. These comments would turn out to be mean and cause a negative outcome. I agree with Megan's post about the similar website juicycampus.com. That was a cruel site and caused a lot of hard feels with your campus peers. Hopefully this site won't get into the hands of the wrong people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this is a terrible idea to comment with no identity. With this application cyberbullying can and probably run rampant. Social Media is good for information purposes, but allowing to comment without consequences can be a problem for those receiving comments, and a disaster for society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete