Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Terror Alerts Through Facebook and Twitter

Last Thursday news came up on the Internet about the government.
I guess everybody already saw that Terrorist alert in the airports or important governmental places. They use code colors like this one on the picture.

First, they decided that they were going to change it with an easiest one including just two levels of warnings: elevated and imminent. This should start on the April 27th.

But the other part of the article is most important for us. They decided to post those alerts on Facebook and Twitter.
This news is another example showing that social media networks are everywhere. It is obvious that publishing the alerts on these websites will be much more efficient. I was usually aware of those terrorist alerts when I was going into airports, but I really did not know until then that we were under an alert.

Homeland security also said that they will publish not only the alert and its level but also an expiration date. For example it will say: “elevated terror alert until the April 18th”. So that people know exactly what is going on and how to be prepared for that. For people like me, traveling as much as I do, those alerts are important because the checking point in the airports always take so much time when we are under an alert. So knowing in advance that there is a terrorist alert going on, will allow me to leave earlier and avoid missing my flight.
What a better way to communicate information as fast and towards a very important number of people than social media websites like the famous Facebook and Twitter!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post! This kind of goes along with my post this week. I think its a smart choice on the government's side because of the popularity of social media throughout the country. Its becoming so popular that it is more common for individuals to access social media outlets more often throughout the day than television or radio outlets. This is going to be helpful in increasing awareness faster when emergencies happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way for the government to use social media. I am also a frequent flyer and these tools will be useful for my upcoming travels. Airports are always changing their homeland security so people will now know with a click of a button what to expect at the airports. I am actually flying tomorrow morning so I will be checking in on the security of the airport soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing post! I was watching a dateline special on television the other night about how individuals have used social networking sites to escape a tragedy. There were unbelievable stories that were told and the individual was saved because of their personal networking site's postings.

    Honestly, I can admit that there have been plenty of times that I did not know the winner of a game, or a huge spotlight in the news until I signed onto Facebook and read others' status'. This is a great way for our Government to mass communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the post! It is so interesting to see how everyone is using social media! I also like to see the government do something that is actually useful. ha ha Anyways, I also think this is a smart idea because of how easy it is to check your Facebook with your smartphone. Almost instantly, you can see the security level.

    ReplyDelete